Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Orange Rolls make it all better

You wanna know what make a southern woman smile faster then seeing a 30% off sale at Belks or Koles? Food! No it doesn't have the same impact as diamonds or a new convertible, but it comes pirtty close.

As I'm writing this I am fuming mad about something I really have no control over. I'm learning the hard way that we all have people in our lives that love nothing more then to steal things that are close to our hearts and take the credit for them. There are people out there that are nothing more then "Fame Hores"
They love to take things that are personal to you; things that you value and things that are rooted in your soul, and they turn them into a side show for themselves so people will dote on them.
Careful of these people, that often are wolves in sheep's clothing. You'll often find these "fame hores" in your circle of friends or family.

So as I'm sitting here stewing in my anger, I want nothing more then some orange rolls. Why you may ask...because the are yummy bread rolls that are not overly sweet like a cinnamon bun but their not just plain bread either. And you know what else sounds good? A big plate of fries with a side of mayo.

So my side note tonight is about a place called Alstake I use to eat there once a week while I was as state officer for Key Club, it just so happens they make these orange rolls I have a ankrin for.

I wish I knew how to make them, but I found a recipe on line. It sounds kinda close...maybe I'll make them tonight.


Orange Rolls

3/4 C. milk

1/2 C. butter

1/2 C. granulated sugar

1 t. salt

2 packages active dry yeast

1/2 C. warm water (110-115°F.)

4 1/4 to 4 1/2 C. bread or all-purpose flour

2 eggs, at room temperature

Filling:

2/3 C. soft butter

1 C. granulated sugar

4 t. freshly grated orange peel

Warm milk slightly, add butter, sugar, and salt. Cool to lukewarm. Sprinkle yeast on warm water; stir to dissolve.

Add 1 1/2 cups flour to milk mixture; beat well by hand or with an electric mixer at low speed about 1 minute. Beat in eggs and yeast mixture. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour, a little at a time, to make a soft dough that leaves the sides of the bowl.

Turn onto lightly floured board; knead until smooth, satiny and no longer sticky, 5 to 8 minutes.

Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, make filling. Mix butter, sugar and grated orange peel together.

Punch dough down and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide the dough in half. Roll each half into a 16 x 8-inch rectangle. Spread with half the filling. Roll lengthwise as for jellyroll; seal edges. Cut in 1-inch slices. Place, cut side down, into greased muffin tins. Cover and let rise until doubled about 30 to 40 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. If using dark muffin tins, place on a cookie sheet the last 10 minutes of baking. Cool a few minutes in pans; then invert onto rack.

Makes 32 rolls.

If your ever driving through Alabama, stop by Cullman you fall in love with the history that is at every corner.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my!!!! Those look so good. I think I may make them tonight (even though it is sooooo hot out)!

    Did you make them? How did they turn out?
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps.

    I DID make these last night. Because it was so hot out and I wanted to reduce the time that the oven was on and in use, I cut the recipe in half.
    A bit time consuming to have to let the dough rise a few times BUT 100% worth it in the end. They are DELICIOUS! Husband and I snuck 2 to eat before we went to bed and we will have the rest for breakfast this morning with our 2 kiddos.
    H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, THESE ARE BETTER THAN MY MOTHER IN LAWS...THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete