Monday, August 3, 2009

In Bloom




I'm gonna put a disclaimer on this post, though the memories are mine, the inspiration comes straight for the most inspirational woman of my life. My sister!

Debbie, is not just my sister or just my best friend, but she completes in ways only God himself can understand. We have traveled the world together and I know we have many many more adventures ahead of us.
Our travels started at such a young age that I don't even remember the first few of them, but one of my most favorite travels has been right in our own back yard....so to speak.
It all started when I moved in with my sister for the summer. I think it was the summer of 92, but I could be wrong. Anyways like I said it all started when I took over my sister's house...just kiddin.
One summer my sister Debbie and my brother-in-law Andy(he's more like my brother after 18 years) packed me up and took me on an adventures vacation of Mobile, Alabama.

Our first stop! Grandma Bessie's, Andy's grandma!
This woman was a survivor who loved, played, and worked hard. She was married eight (8) times, so she says. Bessie was one of those women who's life was filled with adventure and heart ache, but she never let her circumstances control her, like most old fashion southern woman, when a mountain stood in her way she used the strength God gave her and commanded the mountain to move.
Bessie mastered the art of multi tasking, while owning a motel that was mostly occupied by ship yard workers. She would make money on the side by hunting raccoons and she owned a shrimp business.
As if this one of kind wonderful southern woman couldn't get any more talented, she had a green thumb too. In front of her place were the largest azaleas I have ever seen, they were breath taking. Her flowers reminded me of an avalanche of beautiful pink and white blossoms. Bessie also was a wiz in the kitchen, but she didn't mess around. She liked things fast, easy, and tasty.
Like Debbie's favorite recipe, Grandma Bessie's fig preserves.


Grandma Bessie's fig preserves

4 cups mashed brown turkey figs (I suppose any fig would work)
1 cup sugar
2 boxes strawberry jello
sterilized jars and lids

mash figs and put in a sauce pan with sugar and jello, cook down bring to a boil then simmer for about ten minutes.
pour in sterilized jars, screw lids on, turn jars upside down on a towel, cover them with another towel and let cool. the jars seal themselves so there's no pressure cooking or boiling necessary. If, however, a jar doesn't seal itself in the cooling process, you can boil it for a few minutes and turn it upside down again.


Try peaches for peach berry jam, but cook the peaches first and pour out some of the liquid before mixing in jello and sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment