Wednesday, July 29, 2009

For My Beer and Wings Pal who keeps my seat warm.



On May 14th, 1999 I graduated Fairview High School, that night I took off and started a life of my own. I stated university at my dream school...Jacksonville State University with a double major, Criminal Justice and Psychology with a minor in Criminalistics. Yep, I was a bit of an over achiever, but that my issue.

You know, ever now and then God steps in and brings you a friend that you just don't know how you would have ever made it without them in your life.

I met this friend after started at the university radio station, yes! I was a DJ, and I was a great one at that...my radio name was "Freshman Juli" coz I was the only freshman to have my own radio show. Ok, I'm getting on with my story....
I met this very friend at Freshman Orientation, since I had started school early I got to help out with the meeting and greeting the new students.
We would often find ourselves at a place called Jefferson's eating wings and sharing a pitcher of beer. It was our time to get caught up before I went off to work at the jail and before he would head out for the weekend running some sound board at some concert.

We always had the most fun together and for my 19th birthday he surprised me by taking to see the greatest band in the whole wide world....LIVE. (side note I LOVE ED K.)We spent the night hanging out with one of the bands that opened up for LIVE, like The Suburban Love Junkies, and dancing in the pouring down rain. It was one of the greatest night of my life, and I know....he's one of the greatest friends of my life.
Like I said before....every now and then God places a person in your life...it's those people that leave foot prints not just on your heart, but on your soul.


My Wings (not as good as jefferson's but I'm gettin close)

Step 1
Starting the day/night or ever a few hours before is key to these tasty things!!
Start with how many pounds of wings as you have people eating them, and a feeeewwww extra, so you can have a midnight snack.
In a bowl pour enough butter milk slosh the wings around in add a few dashes of Louisiana hot sauce, salt and pepper. Soak over night or for an hour or so. If you don't have butter milk you can use regular milk just a few teaspoons of lemon juice.
Step 2
Again you must not to forget to season everything the same way!
You'll need some cyan pepper, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and a TINY bit of cumin. Season to your liking, I've never measured.
In a sm/med bowl whisk together an egg with some of the milk you soaked the wings in.
In another bowl mix together all the seasons with some self raising flour.
Dip wings in flour mixture then into egg mixture, now back into the flour....next, you've got it baby into a deep pot of piping hot oil it goes. Fry until golden brown and done. Toss in sauce immediately.
Now the best part...the sauce
In a small sauce pan melt a cup to two cups of REAL butter add a few pealed cloves of garlic. The key here is to melt the butter SLOWLY, I always just place my sauce pan up against to the pot I'm cooking the wings in. Its get the heat it needs without browning the garlic. Once butter has melted whisk together 1 small bottle of hot sauce for every cup of butter you melted.



Serve with celery and Hidden Vally ranch dressing and your choice of beverage, I recommend Budweiser or a tall glass of ice cold sweet tea.

2 comments:

  1. I guess I could never be Texan---not one for wings or beer. eew. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK ... my mouth is watering for yummy wings at 9:00 on a Saturday morning!

    Skip the beer for me too, though!

    ReplyDelete